“No house should ever be on a hill, or on anything. It should be of the hill. Belonging to it. Hill and house should live together, each the happier for the other.“
–Frank Lloyd Wright
- A foundation plan is provided with each Mandala Home Kit design
- Mandala structures can be erected on a slab floor, post and pier, stem wall or a full basement as built by your General Contractor
- Mandala Custom Homes round homes are designed to integrate with a standard concrete foundation or Insulated Concrete Form (ICF) foundation system. For more information on Insulated Concrete Forms click here
- If building a basement, Mandala recommends using the ICF Foundation System. They are manufactured from rigid foam and have a number of benefits:
- ICF foundations match Mandala’s faceted Home Kit design
- Quick and easy assembly
- Highly energy efficient with a net insulation value of up to R-26 which includes concrete with no air penetration
- Improved air quality — concrete forms mean no studs and cavities that can hold moisture and foster mould and mildew growth
- No CFCs or formaldehyde
- Allows for proper curing of the concrete, reducing the possibility of cracking
- Mandala’s floors are constructed with 2 x 8, 2 x 10, 2 x12 or engineered joist systems typically supported on a central column; creating a sturdy, squeak free floor
- A 3/4″ layer of plywood sub-floor is included in every Mandala Kit
- Clients are responsible for providing and installing their own finish flooring. This can include everything from hardwood, carpeting or tile, to acid stained concrete with pre-installed radiant heating
- Mandala Custom Homes also offers the option of purchasing a separate floor system to incorporate into your own home design
- All exterior wall panels are pre-built with windows and siding installed
- Standard wall height is 8 feet; however, walls can be increased up to 16 feet to add a greater sense of height or to install a second floor or loft
- You have a selection of exterior siding finishes and colors to choose from
- Other wall options can be incorporated with Mandala floor and roof systems including:
- Insulated Concrete Form walls
- Post and beam, with straw bale or other alternative wall system
- Interior walls and all finishing are completed on site by your General Contractor
Windows are an integral part of the beauty and ambience of every Mandala home.
- Windows are pre-installed in the wall panels
- Clients choose from a variety of window options:
- Vinyl, wood, metal clad, or fibreglass
- Various window styles and sizes
- Energy efficient options such as Low E, argon, triple glazing, etc.
- Mandala Custom Homes uses Milgard, Andersen and locally built wood windows from Boardwalk Windows and Doors.
- Mandala Custom Homes also offers the choice of custom-designed window packages.
Choosing your doorway will reflect how you wish to welcome the outside world into your new home.
- Mandala Custom Homes use a freestanding, engineered cathedral roof system, where no interior structural support is required.
- The Mandala Custom Homes truss roof attaches to the walls with engineered steel connectors
- The Mandala Kit roof includes trusses, hardware, plywood sheathing, pre cut and finished 1“x6” cedar tongue and groove ceiling and cedar trim caps ready for assembly (shingles may be purchased as an option)
- Your Mandala may be roofed using fibreglass laminated shingles, metal or tile, depending on your climate and building location (shingles are an optional component of the Mandala Kit)
- Mandala Custom Homes also offers the option of purchasing a separate roof system to incorporate into your own home design.
A unique feature of a Mandala round home is the domed circular skylight in the center of the ceiling. This window brings light into your home throughout the day, providing a bright, open feeling to the Mandala. At night the skylight offers a clear view of the night sky.
- Skylights are sized depending on the dimension of your Mandala and range from 4 to 6 feet in diameter
- Other options include:
- Enclosed Roof
- Light tunnel