When you build a Mandala, the shell-to-lock-up part of the process happens rapidly because those parts of the house come in a kit.
However, the finishing part of the building process takes the same amount of time as any other construction.
At times, for the home-builder, it can seem endless!
At this point, we have completed the dry walling and exciting process of painting.
‘Color is consistent in only one thing: that it is ever changing. Light, space and other colors in proximity constantly change how color is viewed. Color is exciting because it is always moving, adding a sense of depth and focus to living and work spaces”
I researched at local paint stores, the natural building supply store and on-line until I settled on what I think is the most amazing paint in the entire world, Yolo Paint
My reasons for thinking that it is the most amazing paint in the entire world are;
- What’s NOT in it. This is non-VOC paint that is LEED and Green Seal certified.
- The colours are incredibly beautiful, natural in tone, and vivid in purity. Yet, the texture is very different than regular paint. When I first saw a wall with Yolo paint on it, I asked “Is that a clay wall?”
- The colours have names like Stone, Aspire, Petal, Create, Thrive, Grain, Leaf, Air- which are grouped in palettes called The Colour of Hope, The Sprout Collection, Earths Colour Collection.
- The colour swatches are big- about 8×8′- they were much easier to use to conceptualize our colours.
- The swatches offer suggestions and ideas for complementary colour groupings.
- The two women who developed this paint in Portland , Oregon, are good friends and originally artists.
Lars and I spent considerable time playing with colour swatches , imagining light, elements and nearby colours.
After much deliberation , taking into account the upcoming vividness of ambiant light, nomadic rugs, the spectacular cedar Mandala ceiling, fir trim and timbers , we decided to paint a warm off-white (Air .01 and Air .03- “harmonizes yet stays light, warmer alternative to white”) throughout most of the home.
Here’s a photo of our friend, Brandon, brilliant painter and house builder in the centre of the main Mandala.He’s wearing just the right get-up for running an airless sprayer. We highly recommend spraying and back-rolling when you paint a new construction. It is so much quicker. We were able to paint the second coat on the entire house in about 6 hours!
We chose an intriguing and restful green colour for the Master Bedroom (Leaf .02- “it walks the line between green and gold, beautiful flow, creates open-hearted gathering spots, elegant master bedroom choice”). The ceiling will be natural cedar , baseboards and window trim fir, the floor will be a beautiful port coloured cork.